Sunday, September 28, 2008

Alot of work ahead...

I fugured this pic appropriate since we love big man to the moon and back again. :) Well I just finished reading over all of the paperwork from our IEP meeting. It entails the school psychologist's evaluation, the Speech pathologists evaluation, and the IEP plan itself. We have alot of work ahead of us to help Greyson get to where he needs to be in reading, writing and math. He was doing well in math last year due to the visual methods the Montessori schools utilize for teaching math. I cannot help but think he is struggling some since there are some differences now. It will work out but I am still going to see if I can find some materials online that may help him. The evaluations he has had are extensive but really bring to light all of the challenges he does face. Without his teachers, therapists, the pathologist and us being fully on board it would be a nightmare for him. Each year could potentially put him further and further behind if no one is willing to recognize the things he needs in place of the normal to ensure his success. Thank goodness I think we are on our way to a much better year. The IEP may need some tweaking along the way since this is all new to us, but we will make it right for him. Michele and I just need to make sure we challenge him at home in the proper ways without letting him get too discouraged. That is so hard. I know I am bad about wanting to help him and I probably enable him at times. I know I need to work on that. He is a big boy now and needs to be a little more self sufficient. It will come for both of us. When you know something is not quite right with your child you really struggle between helping them and letting them learn the hard way. There is such a fine line there and I usually cave and cater to him. If Michele and I are guilty of anything it is definitely loving him tons and doing for him more than we should. After all, the best lessons for kids come when you force them to make their own decisions, have responsibilities, figure things out for themselves, and suffer some mistakes. Funny how hard that can be when it is time to do it. Let go of them and let them grow. I still worry so much about him and his future. I want the best for him education wise and I don't want it to have to be so difficult. The fact is though...it will be difficult, more so than with a child without disabilities. The good news is, he isn't alone and things could be worse. All it takes is to think about the world and all the others who are going through the same thing, or possibly worse, to put life into perspective. So... with that said...we all go along on our journey and hope for the best. We hope we are doing the things we should and fulfilling our life's purpose, we hope we have a positive effect on others, and we hope that when we do make mistakes that we can forgive ourselves and that others may do the same. (Good Lord...that sounded so "Grey's Anatomy")
I truly think most people are trying to do the best with what they have been dealt or given. We may not see it always, but until you know every one's story you can't really judge their journey or their decisions. Everyone has a story...and it surely effects who they are and how they conduct themselves. Knowing that can change the way you look at the world. I know Greyson's story has changed the way I see the world and myself. I don't always like what I see but isn't that what helps us change for the better and grow. Ah yes...looking in the mirror is always a challenge but it is necessary to become a better person. (...and to ensure that you morning hair hasn't become an entity all to itself!)

Well, I guess I am done for the night. Funny...I do not know how I got in this philosophical mood. I really need some sleep or something. Maybe more oxygen in my brain. I promise I have not been smoking any left handed cigarettes! Not since the 70's anyway!...haha (Although my friend Diane may beg to differ having a camping trip flashback) Good night to all...and ....buckle up for safety because I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: