Sunday, March 27, 2011

Our "not so little" Tin Man

One of Greyson very special teachers left CCS Friday.  She got a full time position finally so I cannot blame her for leaving but it was bitter sweet.  She was a blessing to us during his 2nd grade year last year because she really took a shine to him.  She assisted him and went out of her way to make sure he kept his self esteem while he was learning new things.  He really loved her and so did I. Ever since he has been at CCS he has had alot of great teachers from his EC team to his OT & Speech therapist to his regular teachers, but Mrs. Lee was especially good to him. I went into the cafe' Friday before I was leaving to check on him at lunch.  He was sitting there with some peers eating and not talking at all.  The cafe' was extremely chaotic while Mrs. Lee handed out pizza she and her husband had bought for the whole school.  A very sweet gesture from a wonderful woman and teacher on her departure.  The kids were crazy and Greyson wasn't enjoying being in all that chaos.  He didn't complain though.  I think he has learned to go off somewhere away from it all even when he is sitting smack in the middle of it.  He looked dazed while he crammed his cheeseburger into his mouth.  I asked him if he knew that Mrs. Lee was leaving and his head went down immediately.  He had not known.  I knew right then I needed to stay with him because he was going to be upset.  I explained why she was leaving and he just stared into space.  I asked if he wanted me to stay with him and he shook his head yes. Still no talking. I stayed and later asked if he just wanted to head home with me after lunch. He finished eating and even had a piece of pepperoni pizza that Mrs. Lee brought. After that was finished he walked over to give her a hug.  I couldn't look because she was crying and so was he.  She and I had cried already in early lunch so I just turned away this time and waited from across the room. It was a very sad day and he was pitiful.  We gathered his things and headed home.  Once we got into the car I asked if he was ok and he shook his head yes.  I asked him what she said to him.  He said she told him about the Wizard of Oz and that she told him what Dorthy told the Tin Man.  She hugs and kisses him and says, "I think I'll miss you most of all."  After Greyson told me this, he turned to stare out of the window silently while we headed off home.

1 comment:

Natalie Beckett said...

I didn't have ms. lee long in my classroom but I see the difference she made in the children's lives there at CCS. She is a sweet person and I will miss her dearly. It will be hard trying to break in another assistant for the rest of the year. They will have some big shoes to fill in my room. The children will miss her too.