Friday, May 29, 2009

Wisdom of the 8 year old brain...



I have been slack this week so as I remember things that happened I will probably put them in here randomly as they come to my old 47 year old brain. (hahahaha) Last night after the family night at CCS Greyson really wanted to stay and have alot of play time with his friends. He actually has tons of friends this year and they really like him. I think they even get him I might add. Last year he had maybe 2 at his old school, one of which was in another class. Both of them are still good friends of his too. Anyway...to lure him home Michele and I promised a trip to the ice cream parlor, Ben & Jerry's. As we were getting out of the car he was really down and I said, "Oh well, you must be feeling to bad to eat ice cream. You can stay in here while momom and I go get some. We will be right back." At that point he exclaims, " Mom, stop talking like that. I have the wisdom brain of 8 years old and I know you always talk like that when you want to trick me into doing something too." Michele and I died laughing. Oh great wise one...with your wisdom brain of 8 years old...tell me more! Funny thing though...he did have me pegged and definitely read my beads right there in the Ben & Jerry's parking lot! I guess I better get alot slicker because he so knows all my parental tricks now. WTH?
I was talking with Suzy this am about him and how he just will not disclose what he can or cannot do and he has always done this. It is a fight to read any at any time so our 20 minutes a night is unheard of at casa de G-R. I ask to read to him often since he refuses but that doesn't even happen alot. So....I am thinking his reading is probably a little lacking. Well let me tell you...not so much. The other day he opens his happy meal toy and proceeds to read the instructions on how to use it...even words I thought he wouldn't be able to use or pronounce. I almost ran the car into a ditch but I maintained and just let the flies buzz in and out of my wide open mouth instead. Seriously? So while talking to Suzy she said he does it all the time to her too. He will resist doing math problems and sit there day dreaming while things are being taught. She said he was eyeing the LEGOS the other day while she was doing some math stuff with borrowing and take aways. Next thing she knew another boy asked something and Mr man explained the whole concept to him. He totally understood the whole thing. She said he catches onto the concepts really quickly but he doesn't want to do all the practice and stuff that goes along with it. It can be maddening. Especially when we aren't sure if he has it or not until he chooses to volunteer what he does know. May I add here though,Suzy has his number big time and knows just how to trick him so that she is sure he "has it". He has always done this since he was little so I may as well accept it as one of his "things". Last year I think his old school was about to burst into flames over it. They couldn't understand why he was so rebellious over doing the work. I think he got it and didn't want to be bothered with all the tons of problems over an over. When I tried to tell them that, it was never received very well. Thank God it wasn't or I would not know the fine group of loving and caring folks we know now. Best damn thing that ever happened I tell you! Well...my dried up raisin of a wisdom brain that is 47 years old is going to clean a little more. Hugs to all...Have a great weekend and if I think of anymore fun stories I will add them in as my old wisdom brain recalls them! :)

1 comment:

Anna's Mom said...

You are on the board!!! OMG - it is starting.... Lord, woman, who knows what you will do - stand back world! Seriously, that is so cool - getting involved in something you are really passionate about - and knowledgeable - that is the first step to changing a small piece of the world. I am really proud of you.

I loved this post - raising Greyson will be a true experience of acceptance in so many ways. Most likely, you won't be able to do accurate testing with him, since he refuses to answer. That will make his educational experience a bit of a challenge. Thank heavens for Suzy - will you have her next year too?

This is probably not likely, but I wonder if there is any kind of a reward system that would motivate him to give a clue as to whether he needs help on something or is just bored with it. Maybe the clue was that he'd help another child. I wonder if you or the teacher could use that - asking Greyson to answer a question that someone else has asked, not the teacher. I remember that he liked to "correct" Ms Kim as well :).