Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Weekend - come and gone...

First of all....my day yesterday was spent with a group of CCS teachers, staff, and parents, feeding Nascar fans similar to this guy. Gotta love that!

Memorial Day weekend has come and gone. It's now Memorial day and the past week seems a blur to me. The seminar and all sent me into such a different space and I now have to create bigger things for myself. I have that power...we all do. I am inspired to do big things for kids like Greyson, to make a difference in some small way. I am surrounded by some very inspirational parents, one in particular who has always been there for us. She is amazing and I find her strength and passion for things to be unbelievable. So...I need to figure out where the need is and fill it. For now, Greyson is doing well. He is definitely having some issues with meds right now since the whole cat allergy thing is rearing its ugly head. He looks red and splotched all over thanks to his reaction to the dander. he hates the taste of the meds so that is a challenge in itself. Lord...try giving a kid whose taste buds work overtime some medicine that tastes like crap to normal folks. It is not pretty....sometimes resulting in barfing...sometimes not. There is always rebellion regardless and a fight and I can;t much blame him. Can they not seriously find a way to make it a little more tasty or have better ways of administering it? Either way...we are continuing to take it in hopes that his new kitten can stay. He will be heartbroken if we have to give Alex up. I couldn't stand that but if need be I will do whatever we need to for his health. On a lighter note I will share some of his day yesterday. I was at Lowe's Motor Speedway helping with concessions that raises $$$ for his school. Not fun....but I wanted to help and they needed the people to make it happen. So there I was amongst all that fun serving hot dogs and beer to the millions of race fans that infiltrated out city for the Coca Cola 600. Do you folks have a visual yet? If not...let me help you....khaki pants, white polo shirt, black apron, red Nascar coke hat, and working the nacho machine! I also helped keep the hot dog supply at maximum since they were selling like hot cakes. Oh the fun that was had! Now my family on the other hand had a birthday party to attend. Greyson headed off with Michele to Zoe's party and in true Greyson fashion showed his dramatic, funny side. Michele told me he was doing a relay race, and not being very graceful or athletic, had a bit of a hard time. He was supposed to use a hula hoop to get a great big ball to the trampoline, climb on with the ball, hit it into the air 3 times, climb off, get a banana, and run give it to his teammate. He somehow got the ball to the trampoline after a struggle, climbed on hit it once outside of the trampoline, screamed, "Oh my GOD!" while Zoe's grandmother tried desperately and unsuccessfully to throw it back in, not sure what happened but at some point he yelled, "This is freakin' crazy"...or something along those lines. Leslie was howling and laughing thinking he said the other "f" word...Michele was probably about to panic but laughing at him too...He finished by running up grabbing the banana (after he had already lost) and snapped it in half in disgust. Can't remember what Michlele said he said then. He also was blindfolded to hit the pinata 3 times. (Each kid got 3 whacks at it) Once he was done he took off running, blindfolded. Yes...I said blindfolded, and he ran around in circles laughing. Michele said she started laughing and once he heard her he started running in her direction, still blindfolded. She said it was really funny. She finally caught him and took it off so the next person could use it and he could see again. Poor guy...he is not very athletic. He told me this am that he let his team down and I could tell it bothered him. I asked him if he tried his best and he said he did. I told him that that was all that mattered was trying his best and having fun. Needless to say he had a blast. Now I know some of you are thinking, "It didn't sound like he had a blast." Well...if you know Greyson...that's just him. He did all of those things but thank goodness now it doesn't normally ruin his whole time. He may be frustrated for the moment but he recovers soooo much better now than he did a year ago. You have no idea what a difference his school, his teacher, some OT, speech therapy, etc.... have made in his life. Yay! I hate I missed his performance at the party. He lives his whole life like a performance and it is always quite entertaining for us and others. We are used to it but still find great humor in him and how he perceives the world. If we didn't we would be in alot of trouble. So I challenge everyone...find humor in the things that may not always seem funny, laugh more, live life a little less serious this week and see what a difference it can make. (Story may not have been told exactly as it happened since I am desperately trying to remember it from what was told to me-it's pretty close, but Michele has all the details in her head. :)...) Good day all....have fun, and lots of laughs.

1 comment:

Anna's Mom said...

Ok, first of all, the music & the hairy back image are SO NOT compatible!!!

Secondly, I just laughed so hard that I almost wet myself. That obstable race could not have been more challenging - I can't even keep straight in my head what he was supposed to do. OMG, I cannot believe that I missed him screaming "freaking" and running about blindfolded.

Thanks for the laughs, my dear. I am in need of that this weekend!