Saturday, May 2, 2009

Friday night and the meltdowns abound...

Let me just say that G man has been doing quite well here lately. He was able to do the talent show without freaking out in front of all those parents. He did gallop around and/or walk in circles alot that night but that is his norm when his sensory issues get to be on overload so as long as he isn't being unruly, distracting or harming anyone we let him gallop and walk all he wants.
As for yesterday, Friday, We went to his authors tea at school to enjoy all the kids stories they had written. It was wonderful. We got home and he had a good day here, we ate dinner with momom, and then he played some with her. (momom time as he calls it.) Let me tell you if he misses momom time it can get really ugly. He sooooo needs time with her and if she is running late or tired he just breaks. Talk about the saddest boy ever...So...last night he had momom time. He was also watching his show he had waited all week on, Fairly Odd Parents, Wishology. Greyson was watching that and it came time for a shower or bath. He chose a bath but not without a fight. Since he was not wanting to go we said we would pause his show and we did. Well shame on me! He got done and came back in to watch it while I was playing the guitar. He kept screaming at me to stop and that I was being loud. Momom & I told him to go into the bedroom to watch and then it wouldn't bother him. DUH! He had paused it in the living room so it wouldn't be the same back there but we did not realize that right away. When he left I changed the channel and kept playing guitar. He came back in screaming when he realized the bedroom TV wasn't playing the same part of the show. My doing that made him miss the entire part that had been paused so now he is freaking out. He was crying inconsolably and saying how he had to see that tonight. We tried explaining we would record it when it came on again but that didn't help. Can you say one tired boy, TV show messed up = full on meltdown. He screamed when I tried to reason with him, and I quote, "I am about to burst into flames!" All while crying his heart out. We said you can stay up maybe it's on later tonight and he screamed, "I have school tomorrow!" We exclaimed, "No you don't, It's Saturday!" For a brief second I saw a little smile almost appear on that frowny face...it never came through though. He stopped short of being happy. I think he would go to school 7 days a week with Ms Suzy at the helm! hahahaaaa We finally got him calm after about 2 or 3 minutes of his tirade but it was a trip. This doesn't happen often but every now and again when the stars are aligned just right we have lift off. Last night was lift off night. This morning we are back to def con 0. And I am sure he will get to see the all important "Wishology" show. The sad part is Michele and I laughed secretly to each other through his whole freaking out last night. Mainly because of the hysterical things he says and does when having such an episode. We don't let him see obviously since all he is experiencing is very important and life or death to him. Very serious stuff folks! We so love him, meltdowns and all. When people say how do you do it, I just think...How do you not? He is Greyson and we love all of him. We are here to help him make sense of a world that he doesn't always make sense of. Even at times like that. Yes he can be a handful and a challenge more so than the so called "neurotypical" child, but we have learned to roll with it most of the time. Don't get me wrong, we both have moments of hair loss or shall I say hair pulling, but we make it work. It's all about the love I tell you! All about the love! Some days you just have to dig a little deeper than others but it works out. Last night was a dig deep moment or maybe more of a buckle up for safety moment. We felt the love the whole time though....while he unfortunately felt the frustrations of life. He managed and today's a new day. Bring on Saturday! :)

No comments: