Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesday Feb, 3rd...with dyed hands

Today was a good day. We got up and Greyson headed off to school with momom. I had to go to the office for a short trip to deliver the new newsletter and then I headed back home. I went to pick Greyson up around 2pm so we could head off to see Mike, one of his therapist's. When I got there Suzy his teacher came out which worried me a little at first. Not much though since I have come to realize things are much different this year and I do not need to be quite so skittish when it comes to that. Anyway...I digress...She told me he had had a frustrating day and began to tell me of some of his issues. He had trouble in drama because he didn't get to do the story he wanted which caused him much frustration. He has been dong much better along these lines but still struggles at times when things do not go his way or the way he has envisioned they should. He also had some trouble with art doing Batik where he thought his elephant he had done wasn't quite up to par so Suzy helped him through that crisis. Thank goodness she gets him because he is definitely a piece of work. Ms Suzy...have I told you lately...you are truly loved by Greyson and us! :) I love him more than life though...he is our piece of work. :) There aren't too many folks that get him and his quirky eccentric ways. Poor guy...he is soooo sensitive, overly sensitive most of the time, so he gets his feelings hurt very easily. In art the teacher had warned them not to get their hands into the dye as it will not wash off for 3 days. Well...guess who has bluish green hands now. He can;t let go of the 3 days either...poor Ms Lisa, (the art teacher), if this stuff isn't completely gone in 3 days because he is also very literal. hahahahaaaaa Michele tried to help him get some of it off with some of her miracle hand cleaner she uses in the business. Oh well....blue green is a great color. I have always been partial to the cooler colors. When I picked him up though Suzy told me he was worried about me being mad. I found that strange as I have never really gotten angry about such things. I wasn't mad at all. I tried to tell him that in the car and he started balling. Then the truth came out. He was really embarrassed more than anything. I think he had not really understood the seriousness of it not washing off. Once he realized it was there permanent he was really embarrassed and said he did not want to go to school the next day. You would have thought he was the only boy with dye on his hands. There were others with some he said...I just don't think they were quite as covered as he was. Oh well...we worked through it and he should be back tomorrow....alien hands and all. I love him and I do not always understand why he is so hard on himself or soooo extremely sensitive. Some of it I am sure stems from his year last year and I hate that. I do feel somewhat responsible since I trusted the school and left him in their care even after feeling not so good about what was happening. I am too overprotective I am sure of it...even more now after his diagnosis. My over protectiveness also is partially related to last year. I so worry about him, about how people are perceiving him and how they are reacting to him. I worry about him making friends and growing and learning alongside his peers and being able to keep up. I so want to protect him from all harm and anything hurtful. But I do know that realistically I cannot protect him from it all. The best gift we can give him is the strength to learn how to protect himself, be strong, and weather the storms that may come his way. It's hard and I am learning each day about being a mother. I can only hope that one day he will say he had 2 wonderful mothers who loved him dearly and did everything they could to prepare him for life. Lately he has expressed at times he wished he had a father. We do not have many men in our lives so I know that is hard. We knew this would come up so we are not totally caught off guard. We have made an effort to involve him in some activities which involve men as mentors, coaches, teachers to help fill some of that need. Eventually we hope to find others to do things here and there with him. Boys just need their man time I suppose. I am not worried either way since I know he has 2 mommies who love him tons and support all he does through thick and thin. So...that said...we are moving forward. Mike knows of Greyson's wishes so I can at least get advice as what to do next when I feel like we are floundering. :) We explained to Greyson how and why he ended up with 2 mommies...try telling that to an 8 year old with Aspergers. Sorry guys...I did not tape it for you...I will tell you that it was rather funny. Maybe some of you are thinking...that's not funny...how could that be funny....if you think that...you do not know Greyson very well. Between him and me...anything can become funny. I've been accused of not being serious enough or not acting my age....oh well....who cares. when I need to be serious I can but I find that in most any situation you can find some humor. Look for it....laughter IS the best medicine. Well it's time for bed...we have a great movie tonight....Bee Movie! Ask me about it...I can tell you the whole damn thing start to finish! Love & hugs....thank you all for caring about us and Greyson!

No comments: