Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sharing with mothers at OT

Yesterday I picked Greyson up and he seemed to have been doing well. After that it was off to OT just like any other Wednesday. That's our routine each Wednesday at 3pm. Anyway...we got there and he played some with some other little boy while waiting for Karissa to get him for his appointment. I chatted with 2 of the other mothers since I find that to be very informative and validating most any time I talk with them. There isn't always another mom there to talk to, but when there is, the sharing that occurs can be invaluable. Or at least that has been my experience thus far. Once he left with Karissa to start his one hour therapy session, I talked more with the other moms. We share stories and things about of lives and our kids and it is very helpful. One of the ladies was able to tell me about some camps in the summer that focus on sensory type kids and help them with sports etc....while keeping the environment less threatening and less competitive. Our kids just aren't normally athletic so being around more competitive kids that are can be devastating at times. It can also cause melt downs. Their frustration levels get high and then they act out or possibly have a melt down. It is never fun and, depending on the situation, can be heart breaking to watch. Especially when you know what is really going on with them. So...his OT yesterday was great for me and for him. He also got inducted into the wall of handprints of all the clients there. He got to put his handprints in red on the wall so he was very excited. His therapist also told me about a social group that may start again soon that she thinks he will benefit from. It's a group of boys along with an occupational & speech therapist who interact and play together, and with the help of the therapists, learn how to do so properly and effectively. He would do that as well as his regular OT appointment and we think he would benefit by being in there. If we can afford to send him he will definitely go. We shall see when we get more information. So...we left OT we headed home to eat dinner and get ready for an early bedtime. He has been sooo tired lately, and not sleeping as well as he could, so we decided to get an early start tonight. We were in bed by 7:40pm but he was still a little wound up. He watched his Madagascar 2 movie...again...to get the bad dreams away. Well....we may have to go back to old faithful...Bee Movie. He woke up at 2am having nightmares so we had to turn the movie on to get him back to sleep. Needless to say I am tired and I am sure Michele is too. You know the feeling...where your eyes feel like sandpaper. Gotta love that! Well...I hope that tonight will be a more restful sleep. We shall see. He also has karate tonight and Michele is coming along this time. I haven't decided yet whether to talk with his teacher or not. My gut tells me to go ahead and make him knowledgeable of Greyson's reaction on Tuesday. Not to make him worried about everything he does and/or says to Greyson. But just to help him understand him better. He is already aware of Greyson's condition but you can never get too much information when it comes to this. At least that is how I feel. I guess I will see how Greyson acts beforehand and then make my decision. Michele seems to think we need to let it go and just keep pluggin' along. So....I will play it by ear and gut. I did talk to his OT, Karissa, about it and she seemed to think his goofiness and silliness is a normal reaction kids like Greyson have when they are feeling inadequate. In other words...when he notices he isn't preforming as well as others he may act silly or goofy to bring attention away from that fact. He isn't physically strong but he has gotten much stronger. I do not want something happening to discourage him form his progress so far. Hopefully we can discuss it and find a way to push him, just not push him over the edge. For now...we are teetering....but haven't we been teetering the whole time. Maybe teetering is going to be where we spend alot of our time. See you guys on the edge! :)

No comments: