Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Little, and at times...alot, on the Wild Side...

We have been going, going, going lately and yesterday we decided to slow down some. It was nice. But it does remind me of how important an energy release is for Greyson. It has been sweltering hot here for early summer so anything we do usually involves water. Otherwise mommy would burst into flames when we are outside in it. He has been doing really well but he does miss alot of his friends from school. We try to set up play dates here and there when we can and that helps. He is really into Pokemon mainly because some of his buddies love it. He has really no clue what they are or how to really play. He just happily trades the cards and thinks he is doing something spectacular. That's fine...or at least it is when he isn't hassling me to buy more of them. Seems a boy can never have enough of them much to my dismay. Some days I just say no...others I cave. What can I say?
A good lesson came out of it the other day for both of us though...mainly me. I boldly claimed to him, "I don't have the money to buy you cards today. Besides, you just got new ones yesterday." He screams, "You lied to me! I saw $10 in your wallet just now!" This led to me telling him to calm down and explaining that I did not lie. I had to explain to him that the money I had was to buy our picnic lunch and if I used it for cards we couldn't get lunch. I told him feeding him was more important than buying the cards. He totally got it and calmed down immediately. I swear he is here for me and my communication skills, listening skills, (or lack there of) etc...etc... I have to thoughtfully plan my words before talking to him but I forget alot. I get caught in his literal traps and have to back my way out constantly. At least I am starting to figure out how to make sense of some things for him. I still feel I fail alot and that isn't a good feeling. I so want to make sense of this world for him and how things are and I can't always do that. It's just so in his mind and sometimes there is NO changing it.
I have loved spending this extra time with him over the summer so far. It has been rewarding and exhausting all in one. The exhausting moments aren't always fun and I find myself loosing patience at times. But thank goodness not too an excess. I want to limit my "crazy mommy" moments to a bare minimum if any at all. hahahahaaaa I strive to have none of that but I can't say I am successful 100% of the time. I wish I could though. He is a great guy but he still has plenty to teach me. I hope I am a good student. I was a great student in school but this time it is way more important. It could help shape me into a much better me and that would be an awesome accomplishment. A PhD in my mind!
Hats off to all the parents who learn wonderful lessons from their children day in and day out. To those who have a little more on their plate than others...here's to you! We all have different levels of stuff that we are dealing with. Just remember, some have it easier than others, some have it much tougher. The important thing is that we all learn from these great kids and take those lessons with us into life each and every day. The world will be a better place for it. Oh the love, patience, understanding, and compassion that would abound and surround us! It would be the change the world needs. We should embrace Peace, Hope, Love & Compassion for our fellow man...Today, tomorrow and into our futures. (((hugs))) :)

No comments: