Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Nascar Speed Park Race before the last week of school...

This photo should have been a forshadowing of things to come....
Well let me try to catch you up on our past few days. I have to go back to Saturday I guess. Michele had to work and Greyson and I hung out at home. I tried unsuccessfully to get him outside to play but he wasn't having it on Saturday. She came home and we cooked dinner together. After that we watched TV and eventually headed off to be. Sunday was actually the fun day for all of us. We took Greyson over to Concord Mills to ride go karts at Nascar Speed Park. He loves that and they have been before. I, being more the worrier, had not been to witness this amazing feat. Little did I know Greyson had only ridden the slower karts in the past and for future reference...this was not disclosed to me on Sunday. One more thing...our son...and safety issues and not one. Aspergers kids tend to have no fear about certain things and do not always recognize the obvious safety issues that others may get right away. so.....now that you are up to date with this...let's get back to the fun stuff. Greyson and momom get tickets to ride the go Karts. There are several choices some for smaller riders/beginners if you will and then some faster. Greyson is also a big kid. Which due to his height, he can usually qualify for rides that he probably shouldn't even be on. So...I am ready to take pictures and mini movies while they hop on the "Family 500" Off they go and Greyson is digging this...his race kart is really fast and he even lapped momom. This was because her kart was really really slow. Rascal Scooter slow people! Hell...one of those could have lapped her! so there they were going round and round and having a blast while I looked on. Then it happened. The ride was on it's last lap and the "race boys" were preparing to let the next group go. One guy came out on the track with a whistle and motioned them into the "pit area". At that point the kart drivers come in slowly and stop preparing to get out. Well not so much for Greyson...as he rounded the last turn and the guy motioned him in he gunned it, passed 2 karts in the turn going into the pit area, and then ran almost full speed into the 5 karts lined up awaiting dismount. All this while I stood helplessly watching the whole thing...in slow motion may I add and screaming in the long drawn out deep voiced..."NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" He hit the karts and the lead kart was pushed out about 2 kart lengths while the "race boy" waiting at the pit hopped out of the way spastic like. Then I somehow turned into a mom possessed. You know the moments...the ones when you are too preoccupied with what the other people are thinking so you run over and try to prove that you have to teach your child the right lesson. Well...hello....I am screaming Greyson, "You have to use your break when coming in to stop...You cannot just slam into everyone because you could have hurt someone." So...now he is embarrassed and bummed. I am having a "not a great mommy" moment and to say the least I am not proud. And Michele who saw nothing and crawled in on her rascal scooter is saying to me, "You need to calm down!" "He didn't know. He has never ridden these fast ones before." OK....News flash to me...and lesson most important here is...if he is doing anything remotely dangerous for the first time...we can take absolutely NOTHING for granted. Especially not where safety is concerned. Good lord....I can laugh now but I thought I was gonna have a freakin' heart attack. Funny the things we take for granted...even after a year of knowing his issues/challenges. We have to be on guard to some extent at all times. Needless to say we survived the incident and no one, besides me, yelled at him for his little mishap. So...we left and headed home. Momom got some new work shorts and Greyson had the ride of his life. I learned that I have to work on how I react to things alot more than I have been. Calm...Stay calm. Later that night we cooked out with some friends, hung out for a while and then headed home to bed. The weekend complete! Next up...the Last week of school...

No comments: