Monday, October 20, 2008

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.....

I headed out to pick Greyson up today and was a bit early so I sat in the car and watched his class play kick ball on the field next to his school. Let me tell you that was a trip. I was really proud because he actually was doing well playing and interacting. Much better than I have seen at other times depending on what he is playing and how well he understands the game. He stopped the ball that was kicked really hard and threw it to get someone out several times. He is having trouble with his aim though and got called out for hitting someone in the head. The kid had kinda ducked expecting the ball so I really do not think it was intentional. They still have to remind them that heads are not targets which is good. I am thankful for that. :) The teacher did tell Greyson he was doing great and Greyson responded by saying,"I know, right?"....That cracked me up as I sat in the car awaiting his arrival.
I was amused by one of his classmates too...he burped for the entire time they were out there...seriously....loud, really loud burps. The PE teacher even called him Sir burps alot (but not in a mean way)...Maybe this is something he does on a regular basis...I don't know. At one point the PE teacher had to pause to tell the boy to get off of his leg. The little boy sat down on the field and wrapped himself around the teachers leg tightly. It is obvious that Greyson isn't the only guy with challenges. He has several in his room but that is to be expected since the school is known for having a way with these kids. Thank goodness for the school and the teachers who work here. They are the best and I see they have their hands full. Anyway...after the game it is dismissal time. He came back into the school...got his bag and headed back out to the car. We went home and got busy on homework. you know, sometimes I feel a little panicked that we are not doing enough to ensure he is keeping up. He is supposed to read 20 minutes a night which rarely happens. I am trying to enforce it better right after school but he has alot of frustration when it comes to reading and writing. I am going to try to find ways to make it more interesting and do better about encouraging him to read on his own. Somehow we have failed thus far. But we keep trying. Unfortunately it probably seems we are not doing enough at home or at least I feel that way. Neither Michele or I wants him to fall behind to the point he has to repeat but I cannot hold him down and force him to read or write...I just hope we can keep trying and at some point succeed in helping him to find a love for it. I am constantly running ideas past him about what we could read etc....First it was science he decided upon...today he says to me...mom, I am done with the science OK? Well...thank goodness I ignored him and started reading to him out of his children's encyclopedia. He actually enjoyed it I think. I am going to do it each day in hopes I can talk him into reading some too. Eventually I may crack him...who knows? For a while we read every Star Wars book available, but that was last year....and believe me, I really do not want to read anymore of those. I will if I have too though. Whatever it takes. I see great improvement in him but Now I worry more about the academics. Maybe I am expecting too much too soon....I don't know. We shall see. Good night friends...you guys are the best and we love ya'. Hugs....

No comments: