Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Camper....

Greyson has been doing so much better at camp. Being there seems to boost his self esteem along with calming some of his behavior. He respects Mr Nick and the counselors and I think that is quite helpful in his learning how to behave appropriately in certain situations. One of the counselors was freaked out on Wednesday when Greyson refused to eat lunch. They had spaghetti noodles which he will not eat. Jonathan offered to put cheese on them to make them like mac & cheese but Greyson claimed..."It's not the same." He and Jonathan went round and round until Jonathan finally called me. I had to explain that he has Aspergers and to him...It just really isn't the same because he is so literal & black & white in his thinking. I got a laugh out of it though and explained that even a pb&j sandwich cut in triangles instead of squares will get the same response from Greyson. When I explained that to Jonathan I think it helped him to understand. Thursday they had end of camp week and bead ceremony. Greyson got 2 extra beads! They all get a swimming & an attendance bead but the counselors give out special beads to kids that have been exceptional. He was so proud to get 2 extra kudos given to him and we placed them on his bead necklace. I am really proud of him and his counselor even thinks his entire frame of mind has gotten so much better since school has let out. I think we are headed in the right direction but we will have to stay vigilant in helping him with his challenges. He is a great guy and we love him dearly...the great little entertainer keeps us laughing each and every day. I wouldn't change a thing about him....

No comments: