Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Craziness...Flash & Boom

Well...we had alot on our plate today. It started with me finally getting my teeth cleaned. I know people....don't even say it! :) Greyson so honestly tells me they are yellow so I guess I need to invest in the Crest whitening strips! haha... Anyway...as soon as I got done I picked him up at camp, rushed him up to his OT appointment and we were off! He started with his regular therapist today, Ms. Karissa and I think he really liked her. They did some writing exercises, worked on his upper body strength by doing the zip line and landing in the pillow pit, and then jumped on the trampoline while dodging a big exercise ball for some help with finding his "center". He loves it all and never wants to leave even after 50 minutes of it weekly. I just sat in the lobby trying to put our next appointments and commitments in order. My to do list if you will. I may need shock treatments when the summer has ended to get me back on track. :) After OT we headed home for some r&r. We were not there long before we had to go to Greyson's hair cut appointment...he still has some curls girls...so don't panic. After that we were headed to pick up momom for his swimming lesson when I got the call that they had canceled them. Needless to say an unexpected change like this can rock the world of an ASpergers kid....and it did. He started screaming, slapped himself in the face about 4 times....screamed for me to be quiet and not talk and that he hated me...it's all part of the challenges we face. You can not take anything he says personally because he NEVER means it. He just does not have the skills set to express the sadness and frustration he feels when things get disrupted in his world. It makes me sad to see it. We got home and he was still a little out of sorts so I said, "Can I talk to you?"..."No"...."Can I give you something special?"..."yes"...I hugged him tightly and he sad quietly, "thank you". I told him I knew he was sad and explained that they could not have swimming when it was lightening because it was not safe. He does well when you can make sense of things for him. Once he understood the reason he could not be at swimming he moved on with things. He just needs our unconditional love, our understanding and our patience. That last one comes hard for me at times but I am doing the best I can. Each day I think it will get better....my patience and handling his challenges. Well that's it for the day...on into the night we go to await what tomorrow will bring.

No comments: