Monday, December 29, 2008

What I have learned....that I did not know.

I have learned that our parenting skills our insufficient according to some. I have learned that we along with a few others are the only ones who really believe Greyson has Aspergers. Most others and some family included feel that we are to blame for some of his behaviors since we do not parent him as we should. Funny though...it stands to reason since I do not totally agree with some of their ways of handling things or their kids either. Therefore we will agree to disagree. I am not saying we do everything correctly. We do make mistakes when handling certain situations. I will say that we do do the best we can given our and Greyson's situation. For those who think it is wrong I say, "We are his parents, you are not so no need for you to worry about it." If we screw it up royally then it will be on us. No one will ever be asking you to fix any of our mistakes. We love him unconditionally and I will never apologize for that. If we are guilty of loving him too much then so be it. We know he is a good boy and he does not do things maliciously. He does not always make good choices but most kids suffer from that. I am exhausted of the feeling I get when people seem not to understand. i shouldn't worry about what they think but it does bother me. I want his family to be somewhat understanding but they struggle with it as well. After all he seems as though nothing is wrong short of just being misbehaved at times. Oh well...I need to spend my energy elsewhere. Just to let you know....Greyson is fine except for wanting to go home badly. We will be headed home soon enough.

4 comments:

suzycm said...

You tell those people to talk to his teacher Lynn. That makes me wanna cry. Makes me MAD too. I love you guys!!!

Jen Hunter said...

Oh lord Lynn, I could have written what you wrote, with just a few changes...
My Mom just left and I could see her visably twitching while watching my girls for most of her time here.

She did say that she could never have raised my girls like I am raising them...I am sort of hoping that she meant that they are being raised to feel free, safe, expressive, compassionate and passionate, and most of all of myself being forgiving of all the small stuff and letting them be...well kids...but I sort of think she meant something else.

I found myself morphing into her as the week went on, and a couple of times when I spoke out loud I wasn't sure if she had spoken or was it really me speaking through channeling her.
Ack!

*Sigh*
Hang in there!

suzycm said...

Yep. I was going to write you an email telling you that I have the same prob with my daughter. She has an anxiety disorder that was diagnosed at 7. People still think that she is either spoiled or has that "teenage attitude" when she wont look at people directly or answer a question. (she is almost 14 now) Most of the time I can deal with it but sometimes I wanna knock somebody out. The inlaws were something else too I tell ya.
Sorry you are dealing with that.

Unknown said...

Sorry Lynn. I went through this with homeschooling. Part of the reason Umberto is back in school is due to me being blamed for him being a nonreader by our whole family. They freaked and made Horacio freak...and now they all think I'm nuts for thinking he might have LD..it's all me and the homeschooling:P

And of course we do hear it in terms of how we raise the kids...mostly from Horacio's family. They defintely think we're too easy on them!