Wednesday, August 5, 2009

North Topsail Fun...

We are at North Topsail Beach having some fun in the sun and we have been here since Saturday. We came for a week with my mother and are very happy to have been able to have a vacation this year. Anyway...it is interesting as I do not think my mom was fully prepared for Greyson. My sister came for a few days and I am not sure she was prepared either. They are not around him much and do not realize all we are dealing with day to day. It's hard to help people understand these things unless they can be around him more. I try to explain it but I am not sure it sinks in. He looks like a normal 8 year old...well actually he looks even older due to his height but that's beside the point. he looks normal but he has challenges that cannot be helped. I have tried to share some reading material but I still do not think it is fully understood which makes it hard. I see the annoyed looks or the looks of not quite getting him. It makes me sad but it is what it is. I get him. We get him and know that he is by no means the kid people perceive him to be. Oh well...they are missing who he really is when they can't see past the behaviors that arise. He is a wonderful boy. Perfect by no means...and typical 8 year old in many ways...but still he is first and foremost just Greyson. I love that about him and so does Michele. He may seem spoiled to most or unruly or misbehaved or defiant or annoying but who he really is goes so much deeper. I will NEVER be able to explain it. It takes the patience of unconditional love to see this really for what it is. When you love truly deeply and unconditionally you fight to see the child that is there. The one who is scared, overloaded, frightened and needs you to be the voice of reason in a world they just don't quite get. We love him and we go along day to day to make things OK for him. To help him make sense of the things that may not always make sense. I talked with my sister about it because I feel they may not need to have us for a week vacation anymore. I do not want to annoy her or my mother since they are not used to our day to day. Maybe a long weekend next time will be better. My mother is used to living by herself. Our world is very complicated at times...especially if you aren't used to what we do or how things have to work. They did not know but now they do. Both of them seem to do much better with less complications I think. Maybe I am wrong. My sister suggested I get a book on Asperger's for mom. I am not sure she would even be interested but I will do it. I guess I thought once he was diagnosed they would read some about it...then again....reading and living it day to day are two different things. I don't know. I know this though...Greyson is loved beyond belief by Michele and I. We seem to understand him best with the exception of a few professionals. He may not be that perfect child that does everything right every time but I am glad he is who he is. I wouldn't take a thing for him and the blessing he has been in our lives. He is my hero and my sweet boy. Nothing will ever change that. I will love, support, & defend him always. Hopefully my mother will not be bald from her experience with her grandson. Hopefully she will see the beauty of him and who he is. It's Wednesday...we leave on Saturday.........we shall see. The only way to learn him is to be around him but I am not sure they will want to do that much again. We shall see. I find myself doing what I did once I came out. If I feel like people don't get it or are uncomfortable I stay away. I want to keep him away as well. That's my gut reaction. May not be right, but that is how I feel. Weird at the parallels and the feelings the whole thing brought to the surface. Imagine that...Well...gotta run to the store while my family naps...dinner is awaiting there. Love to all...hugs as well.

2 comments:

heidib said...

Do not waste one tiny bit of stress on things and people you cannot change. Greyson is WONDERFUL- and even though people don't understand him, they see it. I saw that his grandma sees how great he is. She's just going to take longer- maybe too long- to understand. Get her the book.

Jen Hunter said...

Yep, I second getting her a book-maybe even highlighting passages that you feel are especially important.
Greyson is perfect-perfect as Greyson.
<3