Saturday, August 15, 2009

Recovering day to day...

As I have said while on vacation our home was robbed. We were very careful not to allow Greyson to see what they had done as far as trashing the house etc...but we can not totally, and should not protect him form all of what happened. It was obvious the TV was gone, the wii along with some other things. As well as our side window was broken out and is now boarded up. Well...a few days ago we discovered they also stole his Pokemon cards. Now we are trying to find a way to tell him this. I am currently reading a book by Temple Grandin and she explains that this children should never be coddled too much and should not be kept in a bubble. They should be exposed to life as it happens keeping in mind their sensory issues and being sensible about handling those situations. She claims these kids should be pushed by parents and teachers alike so they will perform and have the skills necessary to carry them through life. I do agree, but I also tend to be overly protective of him and coddle him probably more than I should. I know he is capable of just about anything...but I do tend to worry if pushed too much he will refuse to do anything. He has always done things on Greyson time. He holds back until he is ready to let you know he has gotten it...whatever "it" is. so....I guess I shall try to find the happy medium in this pushing him. I found a quote today that so sums up everything we have been through so far...or shall I say all I feel he is here to help me learn. It is a quote from Thich Nhat Hanh. “The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers.” This quote, along with the Buddhist saying "Only speak if what you are going to say will improve upon the silence." May I just say, I am a work in progress as most of you already know all to well. hahahaaaaa
Now with that being said I have been very concerned with Greyson and this robbery because he is alot like me. He tends to hold on to things inside and although it shows that there is something going on in there...he puts on a different face outside and claims nothing is wrong. I talked this over with his therapist and in session Greyson definitely had some things going on about the break in. So...our job now is to not be too preoccupied about the incident in his presence. Especially me. I still need to make his therapist aware of the missing Pokemon cards and find the best way to handle that. I totally feel the truth is going to have to be the way to go but I will let him guide me on this one. Greyson seems to be doing well but has seemed a bit more aggressive lately. I don't want him getting too aggressive now that school is getting ready to start back. I will ensure all of his teachers know how he works this year though and also about what happened in case he shows any sign of aggressive behavior. His teacher last year was wonderful and I think we have another wonderful teacher for him this year as well. I just need to stay on top of things as far as he is concerned. I want to ensure all of his teachers understand his way of thinking and seeing things this year. Last year I just mainly dealt with his primary teacher leaving out the art and music teacher. This year I will give them all information and offer up myself for those moments where they may not quite get him. I think and hope it will be helpful. Well...we continue to recover here. We are in the process
of replacing our stolen items and getting things back to normal. Life is good and full of moments that help you put things into perspective huh? The love of family and great friends is all that really matters. ...and family isn't always blood relatives now is it? :) Hugs to you all! Thank you to for all of your love and support. It was, and is, greatly appreciated.

No comments: